Spices are a vital element of many Asian countries. Back in time, our ancestors´ diet was based on natural and whole foods given by the Mother of Earth. Medicine was far too expensive to afford and, therefore, food of nature became a natural cure to any upcoming health issues or concerns.
But what is turmeric?
Turmeric is an enhancing plant that belongs to the ginger family. It is a must in Asian food, and the key ingredient of delicious curries, providing food with a fantastic look and flavor. It is a warm spice with a slightly bitter taste, and just a little of it gives a tremendous color and life to all food.
Due to the warm feeling and effect it grants, it is highly recommended during wintertime or in cold regions.
But what gives it this beautiful and vibrant colour?
Turmeric is compounded by a substance known as curcumin, the responsible for the popular and well-known yellow color of this spice.
The benefits of turmeric
It is breathtaking to know and sense the number of benefits this spice provides as a whole. Just a little turmeric incorporated to your recipes can make magical wonders.
A few interesting benefits of turmeric are:
- Anti-inflammatory: a supportive solution to any inflammation within the body, cured within a quick timeframe. A teaspoon of turmeric in a glass of water can do the job. Drink it and feel better.
- Wound healer: there is a strong belief that turmeric can heal any wound with a blink of an eye. Just mix a teaspoon or two of turmeric with some water until you get a paste and apply it to your wound.
- A digestive helper: turmeric encourages smooth digestion, helping ease any stomach upsetness or acid. Include a little of it to your food. It goes great with anything, to be honest!
- Improves skin appearance: a turmeric mask can improve any skin condition, leading to brighter and clearer skin.
- Aids in weight loss: it is believed that turmeric can promote fat loss, leading to a better health condition and building up a better insulin sensitivity. In this way, it can help control blood sugar levels.
- A fighter of infections: if you have a feeling of weakness, sore throat, or cough; try giving a chance to turmeric by adding it to a glass of warm milk, and enjoying it before bedtime. Alternatively, you can also add it to a glass of water and gargle for a clearer throat.
Enjoying turmeric to the fullest
As we can read above, there are plenty of good wishes offered with a simple touch of turmeric to our everyday foods and/or drinks. Turmeric is an affordable gift of nature spice that lasts for a long time, as long as well stored. The beautiful part of this spice is its color which, never fades away and the multiple benefits it provides to improve or maintain our well-being.
Some other exciting ways to enjoy turmeric are:
- Smoothies: including some turmeric in any smoothie of your choice will make it a marvelous health booster.
- Oats, yogurt, delicious bowls: turmeric can be an add-on topping to any of these delicious delights for your breakfast or evening snack.
- Soups, curries, stews: a teaspoon of turmeric in any of these dishes can help get a health-giving meal.
- Dips, sauces, and dressings: you will be surprised to know that turmeric can be added to any dip or homemade sauce, making it a true delight.
- Turmeric milk/water: a simple way of just having a bit of turmeric in your glass of warm water or milk can help to assure consistent use of this magical spice.
The appealing part of this spice is its nature, as well as the tremendous help and support it can award you for a lifetime. We highly encourage you to give turmeric a chance to help you live a better life.
Innovate your style and way of enjoying it!
Written by Mónica Ailani,
Content Writer & Translator
Scientifically proven Trainer
<< Previous article
Next article >>