We still need carbs. Do not fear them. Instead, love them!
Carbohydrates have been a fear factor in people's lives. I have heard a lot of statements such as "carbs make you fat", "carbs are not good after 7 pm", etc.
It is truly sad to hear that the main fuel of our engine is being declined and eliminated from the diet. Our body works like a car. It requires a specific power and contribution to work and give the best of it. Our leading and most promising fuels are CARBOHYDRATES. The quality of energy carbs can offer can not be replaced with protein or fats. Carbohydrates on their own can not make you gain weight. It always depends on the quality of food you incorporate into your diet. There is no magical food that will make you gain weight, as well as lose weight. It's all about having the right balance.
It is vital to provide your body with all the macronutrients (carbohydrates, proteins, and fats). The body needs and deserves to know and understand each type of food, and receive all the benefits from them..
Types of carbohydrates
There are two types of carbohydrates:
- Simple carbohydrates: they provide immediate and instant energy. They enter the bloodstream rapidly, and consuming large amounts of it can produce a "sugar rush". This means that the energy will leave the bloodstream as soon as it entered it, making you feel lower and hungry swiftly. Examples of simple carbohydrates: biscuits, sweets, fruits, refined sugar, etc.
- Complex carbohydrates: if your body requires an immediate source of energy, complex carbs will break down and provide their "on the spot support". Nevertheless, if you do not need energy at that particular time, complex carbs can be stored as glycogen in the muscles and liver for later use. This group includes high fiber food. Examples of complex carbs: nuts, potatoes, seeds, whole grains, oats, etc.
Best choice is fiber-enriched carbs
There are no good carbs or bad carbs. Carbs are food, and we require all types of food as they all are fuel for our bodies. However, if you are trying to maintain a healthy weight or lose some weight, opt for high fiber food as it will keep you fuller for longer, avoiding any unnecessary snacking. They will provide you with all the healthy benefits and energy for your body and soul.
If you eat, for instance, a few biscuits for your morning breakfast; you will get quick energy but, within some time you will feel hungry again as your body has had no nutrients. In this way, you will end up consuming more calories too. On the other hand, if you choose to have a bowl of oats with some nuts and fruits or some whole grain toast with avocado and egg; you will feel satisfied for longer, as well as with a lot of energy to face the tasks of your day.
High fiber foods take longer to digest, adding bulk to your meals, lowering your blood sugar and cholesterol and making you feel fuller for longer. Try to choose whole grain options as much as you can, as well as try to eat fruits as a whole rather than drinking their juice. Whole and rich fruit contain natural fiber and vitamins. Instead, when you make a glass of juice from it, you are bringing out all the sugar of the fruit and eliminating an important part of the fiber of it during the process. This will lead to empty calories as all the necessary nutrients have been depleted. You will also notice you will feel fuller with an apple rather than with a glass of apple juice.
Few more tips
- Embrace carbohydrates and give them a chance
- Eat them whatever time you wish to. Do not worry about any food time rules.
- Try and consume some carbs before training. You will notice much more energy!
- Make new and thrilling recipes with all the exciting and rich carbs nature has given us.
- Encourage all your people to love carbs and admire the energy it gives.
Written by Mónica Ailani,
Content Writer & Translator
<< Previous article
Next article >>
Write a comment